No matter how clean you are, how little you sweat, how good you are at avoiding spills, you still have laundry. When you think of laundry you may envision the sound of a washer, humming, tucked away in some closet or tiny room. Or maybe you’re the type of person who takes their laundry into a laundromat. You bring along your favorite book and settle in for an afternoon of listening to the rinse cycle.
Laundry may be unique to us in some ways, but for all of us it’s all dirty and it all involves a big jug of detergent. That is - until now.
Picture this. You walk into a laundromat and your bags of clothes are heavy, but you aren’t weighed down by a liquid jug of detergent. You have a neat little packet on top of your laundry that contains enough soap for 32 loads of laundry. You don’t fight to open the door or deep squat slowly to set anything down. You don’t have awkward, left over, dribble soap sticking to your clothes from the outside of the bottle. You don’t have to heave the bottles out of the basket to get started on your laundry.
Which then brings us to the moment of laundry none of us like. You open your jug of laundry detergent and practically singe off your nose hairs. Your eyes well with tears. Your lungs burn. The scent on the bottle is Lilac and Rose Petal Fields with a Soft Breeze but smells more like an abandoned chemical plant.
Somehow, the liquid soap is better than the powdery stuff, but both are so bad we’re not sure why liquid detergent is “better”. What we are sure of is that biodegradable detergent in strip form is much, much better than both.
If you don’t care about the planet at all, you should switch to Eco-Strips Laundry Detergent so you don’t have to lug around a dribbly plastic bottle of sinus-clearing chemicals. If you do care about the environment, you should switch to Eco-Strips Laundry Detergent for the reasons we mentioned and to protect the planet.
There is a third benefit that can occur if you switch to Eco-Strips sooner before New Years, but we’ll get there.
All the Details for Eco-Strips Detergent
There are two scents that our Eco-Strips come in (Fresh Linen and Unscented) and neither will incinerate your nasal canals. Both are great choices for sensitive skin, sensitive noses, and will leave your dirtiest laundry smelling fresh and clean. Both are low-sudsing formulas and dissolve in hot or cold water.
To use, tear off one strip and place it in your washer per the washing instructions. If it’s a big load, feel free to use two. If it’s a little load, you can use half a strip.
There are four big environmental impacts for many major detergents: surfactant toxicity increase, phosphate nutrient loading, the plastic packaging, and shipping.
Each Eco-Strip package only weighs 3 grams. That’s the same weight as three birthday candles. But, these strips are made of concentrate and hold the same cleaning power as 40 grams of normal laundry detergent. Their lightweight packaging takes up less space and creates no mess in your laundry room or in transportation to the laundromat.
The Environmental Impact of our Liquid & Powder Laundry Detergents
There are four big environmental impacts for many major detergents: surfactant toxicity increase, phosphate nutrient loading, the plastic packaging, and shipping. We’ll make this breakdown simple. Here’s why each of these four environmental impacts are so bad for our planet.
- Surfactant toxicity: Surfactant is a chemical that reduces surface tension between oil and water. This makes it easier to get stains off your clothes. But, surfactants are also toxic to aquatic life. It breaks down mucus coatings on fish that protect them from diseases. It also makes it easier for fish to absorb other toxic ingredients, like pesticides. You can check out the EPA’s criteria for surfactants here.
- Phosphate nutrient loading: Phosphate is an ingredient that is in some detergents. When it reaches natural waterways, it can cause algae blooms in freshwater. The phosphate allows algae to grow quicker than it should or would naturally. The algae removes the oxygen in the water and kills almost everything else. Many states have banned phosphate to protect waterways (check out if yours is one of them here).
- Plastic packaging: Single use plastic packaging is never good for the environment. It’s especially bad when it’s used in mass quantities. America alone does 36 billion wash loads per year. Given how little of our plastic is actually recycled (roughly 6%), these plastic chemical jugs tend to end up in landfills.
- Shipping: Shipping plastic jugs of chemicals and liquid leaves a pretty significant environmental footprint as they’re heavy to send from one place to another.
These are just the main environmental impacts. There’s also a long list of chemicals that aren’t great for humans, animals, or the planet that are often included in big name laundry detergents. Some additional harmful ingredients include:
- Added Dye
- Palm Oil
The good news is, there are lots of opportunities to make our laundry habits better. One easy and efficient way to be more environmentally friendly with our laundry is switching to biodegradable laundry detergents.
Benefits of Using Eco-Strip Detergent
There are a lot of brands claiming to begreen or eco-friendly. Unfortunately, this is often a ploy to get you to spend your money on their product. The next thing you know, a plastic bottle with better chemicals shows up at your door.
Switching to Eco-Strips is the opposite of that experience. You can feel confident in making a great purchase for your dirty laundry and the planet. A shortlist of benefits we’d like to mention include:
- 100% recyclable paper packaging - a lot easier to recycle than plastic
- 94% less transportation waste than the average bottle of detergent
- Biodegradable laundry detergent strips
- Certified hypo-allergenic
- Vegan, cruelty-free, and no animal testing
One of the biggest selling points that we need to share is that this product really works. It helps take care of the color and structure of your clothes. It leaves them clean and fresh. It removes difficult, set in stains. Don’t let the fear of this product not working be the reason you don’t make a more sustainable change.
This laundry detergent really works.
But Why Do I Need Eco-Strips Detergent Before the Holiday Season?
The holidays will be here before we know it. With the holidays, come family. Your mom will be trying to do your laundry and clean your apartment for you. Your aunt will be rummaging through your house, on the hunt for expired items. Your sibling's kids will be throwing their meals across your dining room, splattering everything in their path.
If you’re looking for a way to impress your relatives look no further than Eco-Strips Laundry Detergent.
Surprise your mom with an even better way of doing laundry and a dribble-free laundry room. Prove to your aunt once and for all that you’ve grown up to become a responsible adult. Laugh as your sibling’s kids toss spaghetti sauce all over your favorite shirt. Tell them, “Don’t worry, I’ve got this,” as you head to the washer. You and Eco-Strips are prepared for this holiday season. Bring on all your family’s dirty laundry.
Our one last bit of good news: Lochtree is now offering subscribe and save! Get your laundry detergent strips delivered to your door without a second thought and save money. No two-day rush shipping needed. Just the look of delight on your mail person’s face as they carry up your order of light, eco-friendly detergent strips instead of the liquid jug of laundry detergent.
Save the planet. Avoid messes. Impress your mom. Make your mail person happy. Eco-strips laundry detergent is a win/win for all of us.